January 13, 2016

Do You Want to Build a Snowman?



Yesterday we got our first couple of inches of snow here in western PA. Finally, winter has struck! Capri was super excited to go outside and build a snowman, do a snow angel (or like 10), throw snowballs and of course, sled ride! Lucky for her, Cam took an almost 2 hour nap (which he never does - teething!) so we bundled up and headed outside.
Truth be told, I am not a snow person. Take me to the beach and let my feet touch the warm sand. I don’t like being cold, but sometimes as a mom, I have to do what I don’t want so that my kids can be happy and make memories. And Capri was really happy. Plus, I knew that if she burned off some energy outside, she would more than likely take a nap for me later.

She ate snow until her face was as red as Rudolph’s nose. She did snow angels until there wasn’t any more room to make them. And she rode on her sled until the hill was almost bare from going down so many times. We did build a snowman, but it was a sad looking snowman since it wasn’t great packing snow. But that didn’t matter because she thoroughly enjoyed herself, and got great exercise at the same time. She was tired. So was I.

We came inside, had some lunch and before I knew it, she was fast asleep on the couch. I love days like yesterday because I know that she got great exercise, fresh air and now her body is recharging as it should be.

Just because it snowed doesn’t mean you are stuck inside. I saw a thread on Facebook this morning of parents asking how cold is too cold to go outside and play and the majority of moms were saying they try to stay inside constantly when it snows. Don’t get me wrong, if it is negative ANYTHING outside, we aren’t going to go play, but that is why we have warm clothes, snowsuits, hats and gloves. I am not scared of getting cold (just don’t really like to) but I know that it is an experience for my kids to be outside, in the snow, doing winter things.

Do you go outside when it is cold and snowy (if you get snow where you live)? The kids usually
don’t last too long so I don’t worry about the temperature too much. Plus when they get inside and all warmed up, they are likely to take a nice, long nap! Mom win!

Get those long johns on and head outside. Build a snowman, throw some snowballs, but most of all, make snow memories with your kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment