May 26, 2016

Top 5 Things You Must Pack When You Go To Disney World with Kids

I feel like it has been awhile since I have blogged. I guess that would be because we were on VACATION!!! And as you probably know, packing for the vacation is sometimes the hardest part. Moms typically have to pack not only their own suitcase, but those of their children too to ensure everything they need (or that mom thinks they need) makes it to their destination and isn’t left at home with the fish.

This was my third trip with kids to Disney World in Orlando, Florida. The first time Capri was only 6 months old so packing for just her was pretty easy. Then we went again when he had just turned 2 and that was pretty easy too. But this time, packing for her AND Cam was a little more difficult, especially since Capri has her own opinion on what she wants to wear and insists on helping Cam get dressed too. So here is my packing list for when you are traveling to Disney World. Now remember, we went in May so it was really hot there. I am talking 90 degrees every day. I have also been there when it was freezing and was wearing jeans and a sweatshirt every day, even wishing I had my coat!


1. Extra Clothes
This is a no brainer. However, I want to recommend multiple outfits per day. We would get up early and do the park all morning and by lunchtime, my clothes were either sweaty from me or from carrying Cam, or dirty from the kids or rides or just getting uncomfortable. Usually when we got back to the hotel we changed into our swimsuits and went down to the pool for an hour. Then we came back and napped (another outfit). We then would put on nicer clothes for dinner that evening. So I wore 3 outfits most days, not including my swimsuit (which you should probably pack 2 in case you decide to take a swim after dinner).

2. Sunscreen/Hat/Sunglasses
You will burn if you don’t put sunscreen on! I was so worried that Cam would burn because this would be his first time in his life in the sun like we would be, so I made sure to lather him up all over. But surprisingly, he tanned wonderfully! You should also take a hat if you and your kids are hat people and do not forget your sunglasses for everyone (although if you do you can buy them there). My eyes hurt the one day after not wearing my sunglasses for a little while due to just being busy with rides and kids.

3. Snacks/Drinks
A must when traveling with kids of any age (even adults), but especially a 2, 3 and 4 year old (we also had a 1 year old and 3 monther with us). When you are up earlier than usual, breakfast isn’t the first thing kids want to eat. In fact, my oldest just wanted to go back to sleep! By the time we got over to the park and in line for our first ride, she was wanting something to eat. I suggest fruit snacks, the fruit pouches of whatever you’d like, any kind of fruit or vegetables that won’t spoil in heat (I always had an apple), candy if you are a candy provider (but not chocolate), and chips/crackers. Avoid the melt down with a quick snack and a drink. I always had a bottle of water available and we bought the refillable mugs for pop. Gatorade would be another good drink to always have in case the heat starts to get to anyone. And remember, you can bring whatever you want into the park. You could even bring breakfast and lunch with you if you didn’t want to stop to eat!

4. Tennis Shoes
The last time we went to Disney World, I made the mistake of not packing my tennis shoes. I walked around everywhere here in my flip flops, but let me tell you, when your child doesn’t want to walk, like ever, while at the park, your feet and body will hurt. I ended up buying some while I was there but we had to take a bus to Disney Springs which was not on our agenda. I don’t know how people do it, but I see people wearing flip flops all day there. Do your body, and your kids, a favor and wear tennis shoes on everyone. I know they don’t look the best with certain apparel, but you’ll regret it if you don’t, especially if it rains!

5. Extra Space
Huh? What do you mean pack extra space? Luckily I have to still pack diapers so I end up with extra space in my suitcase because we always buy so much stuff! Capri not only packed 2 princess dresses, but came home with 2 more, plus a sword and some other random things (Cam too, of course). You can also have things shipped straight home but kids don’t want that! Ensure that you have extra room in your suitcases before you buy too much and end up not having room for things. Purposely don’t fill your suitcase before you leave, or pack a suitcase for your child even if you have room in your suitcase. You can also pack things that you will end up using in your suitcase rather than your carry on (snacks, drinks).


My list surely could go on forever, but I’ll stop here for now. What would be your top 5 items that you would pack for Disney? 

15 comments:

  1. I'm heading to Disney later this year with my niece and nephew. I can't wait to see their faces when we go. It will be there first trip. Will definitely be keeping your packing tips in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound like some great tips - I think if even I went alone I would need most of these (especially extra space!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are heading to Disney this summer, and we can't wait. It is a complete surprise for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with these picks! You really have to make sure you're comfortable all day and shoes and sunscreen are a big part of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spot on choices for things to bring! I definitely agree with you, extra clothes and sunscreen is always part of the essentials for me especially if we're going to be out and about all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such great tips. I am scared to tackle Disney with our son. He is 3.5 and I am hoping by waiting, we can enjoy it more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I made the mistake of having no more hands or body parts to spare when I made a similar trip with my nephews and nieces. Good advice right here, folks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the post, I haven't pick sunscreen for any trip. From now on, sunscreen is going to be a part of my adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been a dream for me to go to Disney world. Thanks for the great tips, I'll make sure that I pack the right things!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list! It's crazy how many people you will see wandering the parks in ridiculous shoes. I use to see people in HEELS all the time when I was living in Orlando! Craziness lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with this list. I've never been to Disney World though, but I might be going this Winter. I could imagine how crazy busy it gets there too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are planning a trip back to Disney for the end of the summer. Thanks for the tips! I'd say the one I'm most paranoid about forgetting is the sunscreen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tips! We always bring at least 3 sunscreen lotions

    ReplyDelete
  14. All great tips! The only thing I would add to this list is ponchos.. they can be tossed in a bag and come in so handy when it rains! (since the rain usually passes after 5 minutes or so!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the tips. Hubby and my daughter are headed out to Disneyland in October.

    ReplyDelete