I haven’t went for a run or to the gym to workout in over a year. I know for a fact it was before I found out I was pregnant with Cam. But I am not the person to just sit around all day and do nothing. Capri and I were always outside playing when the weather was nice and even after Cam was born, I’d put him in the stroller and the three of us would walk around the neighborhood. But now that the bitter cold has hit, I am NOT leaving the house to workout. I’ll leave the house when I need food. And now that I want to get back into shape, I need to be creative in my workouts. So here is my version of 6 fun workouts while I stay at home with the kids:
- Stair Climber: I have two floors in my house (actually three if you count the basement but I am not going down there!) The laundry room is upstairs so every time I want to change the laundry I have to climb stairs. So laundry day = extra work out since I go up and down 20 steps each way. I am also considering packing up the pack’n’play/changing table downstairs since I only use it to change diapers and just carry my 20lb. baby upstairs to change his diaper each time.
- Treadmill: Capri is three which means she has endless energy. Cam on the other hand is still quite lazy so I put him in the stroller and chase Capri around in circles in my house. My mom once said, “I used to tell you no running in the house but you totally encourage it for your daughter.” Yup…because if she doesn’t run, she gets crabby. So if I run along with her, then I’ll burn some extra calories.
- Jumps: I was watching Love Actually not too long ago and the song “Jump (for My Love)” by The Pointer Sisters came on and Capri just started jumping around. So now when we want to jump, I play that song and we jump for the whole 4+ minutes. And Cam even gets in on the action and I have him jump with us!
- Push Ups: Capri and I have been trying to teach Cam to push up and roll over lately. Her and I now get in on the fun and push up and roll right along with him. Now she is trying to teach him to crawl and man…crawling is no joke! It hurts my knees! But I bet her and I do 20 push ups at a time trying to get him to copy us.
- Exercise Ball: I have one of those huge exercise balls that sat in the basement until I read online that it might help Cam like tummy time more. So I carried the darn thing upstairs and of course Capri made it into a toy. And now I’ve made it into a game that I also get a work out on. We try to jump over the ball, roll over the ball, and even dive for the ball. It is so fun!
- Yoga: This is one of Capri’s favorite things to do. I pull out my phone, Google “Yoga poses” and we just pick different yoga poses to intimidate. She obviously doesn’t hold the poses long, but she just thinks it is awesome when she can copy the picture. I'll tell you more about this soon!
What kind of work out do you do that is also fun, and not really a work out?